As our last study case we tried to make a mesh of a 2D car. This work is inspired by the ICEM tutorial, but we invented our own geometry.
We build the DDN geometry by placing 46 points and by linking them with straight lines, the lines were then converted into B-splines. The entire domain is 20m in height and 40m and length. The car front is placed at 10m of the inlet at is 4,5m long and 1,4m high. We meshed it with hexa using approx 10cm elements for a total of 70 000 elements. The mesh can still be imroved at this moment and must be considered as a first try at this time.
A view of the complete mesh. The number of elements far from the car can be greatly reduced.
A close-up view of the mesh near the car. The overall meshing strategy is acceptable, the size of the elements very close to the car should be smaller.
We had some problem making the mesh run with Fluent. Our difficulty was finally overcome using a little trick: we exported the mesh as an IDEAS file under ICEM, we then imorted that file into Fluent. We then made a computation using air coming from the inlet at the left with a speed of 50m/s (approx 180km/h). The Reynolds value is then approx. 7.10e6. We used a K-E model.
We can take a look at the velocity:
This is a wider view of the velocity field. We can see that the car's effect extends far over (over 5m) and behind the car (over 10m).
We can draw the velocity vectors:
We can see distinguishly two recirculating zone behing the vehicle.
A close-up of the back of the car makes them easier to see.
We can also look at the pressure:
Finally we can look the value of K: